There are numerous tools and applications to help you get started with coding. At CoderDojo we frequently use Scratch and Python as these are often used in the classroom. However there are many other choices which can also be used to experience the fun or coding. Here is a small selection of applications which might be useful.
IPAD Apps (Free)
- Lightbot –http://lightbot.com . Choose the ‘One Hour’ version which is free. Also available as an online web application)
- Blockly – https://blockly-demo.appspot.__com/static/apps/maze/index.__html
- APP Inventor – http://appinventor.mit.edu/__explore/. This provides a programming environment for Android phones/tablets and is from the same team that developped Scratch
- Codecademy – http://www.codecademy.com This site provides tutorials for learning a number of languages including Python, PHP, HTML
- Lego Mindstorms –
http://www.lego.com/en-gb/__mindstorms/?domainredir=__mindstorms.lego.com. Needs Mindstorms kit!
- KODU –
http://research.microsoft.com/__en-us/projects/kodu/. This is only available for Windows but provides links for creating games on an XBOX.
- Smallbasic – http://smallbasic.com/. An updated version of the BASIC languauge popular in the 1980’s with the BBC Micro and ZX-Spectrum.
Another greeat source of applications is Code.org which has a growing list of tutorials to help you to start coding.